You’ll find some gear that gives reputation bonuses for certain modes, such as crucible, vanguard, and iron banner. Iron banner, for example, has shaders, emblems, and class armor. Once you get emblem/shader for one character, you can go to kiosk in north tower to retrieve, for free, with your other characters.
Iron banner, and other special events like Crimson doubles are worth doing. For example, in iron banner, once you hit rank 5, 310-320 gear can drop.
Also, once you hit rank 5 with a character, complete each bounty daily, but don’t turn them in. Next time iron banner rolls around, you can turn them in to level quickly (be sure to equip your iron banner gear (class armor, shader, emblem which give bonus iron banner rep). Additionally, once one character hits rank 5, your other characters will level faster. Here’s a guide to leveling in iron banner: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3t5als/the_full_iron_banner_guide_to_ranking_up_fast_now/
Destiny exotic swords
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2014/09/13/destiny-how-to-get-exotic-weapons-guide.htm (other wiki’s on this too, if this one is no good)
- Ability: throw spinning arc of light which lingers on hit
- This is a one shot in PVP, and very useful for ranged attacks since it tracks targets.
- My favorite. Only one I didn’t break down
- Also very useful in PvE
- I don’t really use this one but it has powerful uppercut
- Ability: Spin in circle with blade and damage nearby enemies
- Useful in PvE when you have several enemies which blitz in hordes
- Red Death
- Haven’t found this yet
- Recharges health on kills
- Black Spindle
- Exotic sniper
- Refill clip with 3 rapid precision hits
- When daily heroic is runaway and 3 locked doors, to the right of 3rd 10 minute timer. Use heavy and special liberally ( I synth at beginning of story, so my synth is recharged by the time I get to the challenge)
- Touch of malice
- Exotic scout rifle with full auto
- 45 fragments (fragmented.crystalhelix.com). Then follow quest line
- Mida Multi-Tool
- Exotic scout rifle
- Random or occasionally sold by Xur
- Random exotic heavy rocket launcher which tracks targets and detonates early based on proximity
- 1000 yard stare
- Random drop legendary sniper
- Also sold by Vanguard armory near the shipwright. The vendor hear sells it with a pretty good ability set.
- If you find one with the ShortGaze SLH10 scope, keep it. This is better than the vendors version.
- Colovance’s Duty
- Rank 4 legendary scout rifle in current Iron banner. Many advantages over Mida depending on match objective.
- The last word
- I’ve heard this is a ridiculously good exotic hand cannon
If you’ve turned in 4 relics to the gunsmith, the following month on the 7th, you’ll have a mission on earth that isn’t available again until the following month on the 7th. If you complete it, you’ll unlock a quest line to get you the Sleeper Simulant which destroys things in PvE, and can one-shot a guardian in PVP as well (although, it’s mostly used in PvE).
Also, pay attention to your gear. Gauntlets can increase reload speed significantly. I usually perk my sniper. Chest pieces often have increased ammo capacity for primary or special, and boots have it for special/heavy. I spawn now with 12 sniper rounds.
Another handy one if you like rockets is the rocket launcher perk that lets you find heavy more often, and receive more ammo when you do. Couple that with extra ammo from a good pair of boots, and you have a fun heavy round in trials.
The in-game tools are lacking. Bungie has released an API that’s been used by several essential apps and sites. I’ve included the ones I’ve found here.
- Tower Ghost for Destiny (android, Windows Phone)
- Move gear b/w characters. Create Named loadouts for gear/abilities. i.e. Trials Loadout, Max light, Control, Oryx, etc. Create loadouts for specific events and equip all with single button press
- NOTE: Use max light when decrypting (even if blues). You get higher rolls from engrams the higher your light is
- Android (and maybe iOs)
- Destiny infused
- Ishtar Commander
- Where is Xur
- Destiny (don’t use their inventory management. But good stats/match history and such)
- net (find groups for specific events. Or list your group. You can even designate light required. I also usually note: adults only)
Advanced players typically do the King’s fall raid Tuesday through Thursday and do trials of Osiris Friday through Monday, as well as Iron banner and other special events (ex: Crimson Doubles) whenever they’re out.
In King’s Fall, if you have multiple characters, take one group to totems, then everybody switches characters (leaving one man in raid while others switch). This will give each character a checkpoint where the good rewards begin.
Each week, King’s fall has different challenge for boss fights (Warpriest, Golgoroth, oryx) with specific rules for how to beat that specific boss. In normal mode, guaranteed 310 item. Each boss drops one of two (if not both) specific item slots i.e Oryx challenge drops helmet and or Primary, one of which is guaranteed 310, second if it falls is b/w 300 and 310. Hard mode 1 reward guaranteed 320. If second drops, b/w 310-320. For example, Warpriest drops several items, including the Defiance of Yasmine sniper rifle (there’s one legendary with higher aim assist, but it doesn’t compare with range and impact).